Turn comfort foot into elegant party hors d'oeuvres with this crisply delicious recipe from chef Jon Mortimer.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir boiling water into cornmeal to make a stiff mush.
- Stir in milk until smooth; then stir in frozen corn, eggs and the cilantro. Add flour mixture from above and stir just until combined.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Drop batter by rounded tablespoons into hot oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Transfer to a serving platter; cover and keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Meanwhile, if desired, stir the chives into sour cream. Serve sour cream with the corn cakes.